Friday, August 1, 2008

I didn't weigh today

That's right. I didn't weigh today. And I'm not going to weigh tomorrow or the next day either. The last time I weighed was last Friday and I'm not planning on weighing until the end of the month.

Why, you ask? Or maybe you didn't ask. But I'm going to tell you anyway. I didn't weigh today because over the past two months I have been working out an average of 4 days per week at Jazzercise and have still managed to put on 3.5 pounds. I haven't been eating any more, just staying within my daily POINTs. But for some reason, the scale keeps going up. In the grand scheme of things, 3.5 pounds is really no big deal. This is what I have been telling myself. My clothes fit the same. They're not getting tight. So I talked to my Jazzercise instructor and she told me there are a number of reasons the scale might be going up and if I'm not feeling any changes in the way my clothes feel, then I don't really need to worry too much about it. It may be water since I've been drinking more water since I've been working out. It may be muscle. It may just be that it's summer and I'm retaining water like a camel. Could have been the fact that Aunt Flo stopped by for a visit last week. Who the heck knows. All I know is that it's the first time in a year and a half that the scale has started creeping up and I was not happy. Not only was I not happy, I was obsessing over it. Obsessing over the half pound I gained last week even when I tracked all my points and stayed within range. Obsessing over every single thing I put in my mouth whether it was a carrot stick or a piece of gum. ENOUGH! I can't live like that for the rest of my life. So I've had it with the scale. WW doesn't require you to weigh weekly when you're on maintenance so for now I'm going to weigh monthly instead of weekly. I'm going to keep on keeping on with the points and staying in range. I'm going to keep on making good choices and working out 4-5 days a week. And I'm going to keep a close eye on the waistline to make sure the capris are still fitting. And that will be that. I'll weigh at the end of August and see how things go.

Stupid scale. We're not friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found you on SplitCoast and am fascinated by your weight loss story. I think we all need help with food issues and genetics play such a huge role. My mother was hyperthyroid, dad hypo, I am hypo and so is my daughter. We are watching every calorie and it does get old sometime buuuuutt I just need to move more. I saw you do Jazzercize and my rec center in Carrollton TX offers a class. It has been so long since I taught, yes I said taught, a class and I am literally afraid to go. Any suggestions for a returning fraidy cat? I will bet it has been 6 years since I taught and I have such a mental block-like people will laugh, etc..